httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Stromsoe <...@cts.ucla.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] strategies for authentication/authorization in a virtual hosting environment
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:10:10 GMT
I'd like to be able offer basic authentication, with per-vhost user and
group files.  All user access to the filesystem is via ftp, chrooted to a
"home" directory, that lives inside a multi-level set of hashed
subdirectories.

There doesn't appear to be any way using the included mod_auth* modules to
provide authentication and authorization access without also providing
details about the underlying filesystem.

I'm looking for any strategies that don't involve providing the full
filesystem path to use in a .htaccess file.  Before I go trying to
reinvent the wheel, are there any out of tree modules that provide a
mapping interface, similar to mod_vhost_alias, for AuthUserFile and
AuthGroupFile?

-Chris