httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bennett Haselton <benn...@peacefire.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how to enable CGI scripts to read /var/log/httpd/access_log ?
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:51:39 GMT
At 04:02 PM 2/11/2008 -0700, Doug McNutt wrote:
>At 14:19 -0800 2/11/08, Bennett Haselton wrote:
> >My CGI scripts can read world-readable files when those files are under
> /var/www, just not when the world-readable files are located anywhere else.
>
>That could be because some intermediate directory(s) don't have the
>necessary x and r permissions for world. (And you might not like that.)

Uhh... Yep.  That was it.

[root@sls-ce3p12 ~]# ls -ld /var/log/httpd
drwx------  2 root root 4096 Feb 10 05:53 /var/log/httpd

Changing that to 755 made it possible for the CGI script to read the
access_log file.  Thanks!

Don't know why I didn't think to check that.  I guess I was thinking in
terms of Windows where (I think) permissions on individual directories are
not inherited to sub-directories.

         -Bennett

bennett@peacefire.org     http://www.peacefire.org
(425) 497 9002