httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <aadamc...@apache.org>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy delay detecting application restart
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:54:26 GMT
Using HTTPD 2.0.x on OS X and Linux, with mod_proxy setup as a
frontend for a dozen of Java applications (Jetty server instances more
specifically) running on the same machine as HTTPD. mod_proxy config
for each Java instance looks similar to this:

    ProxyPass /myapp/ http://localhost:8105/myapp/
    ProxyPassReverse /myapp/ http://localhost:8105/myapp/

Everything works fine except when restarting Java instances. After a
restart I keep getting "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable" responses
for up to 20-30 seconds, until finally mod_proxy detects a live
instance. I understand that mod_proxy caches a previous down status of
an instance, and does not refresh for some time. Is there a way to
configure a smaller refresh interval or avoid instance status caching
all together?

Thanks,
Andrus Adamchik