httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ruslan Sivak <rsi...@istandfor.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Multiple VirtualHosts with the same name
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2008 00:42:49 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Ruslan Sivak <rsivak@istandfor.com> wrote:
>
>> Joshua Slive wrote:
>>  > On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Ruslan Sivak <rsivak@istandfor.com>
wrote:
>>  >
>>  >> I'm having a bit of a problem.  I  have a loadbalancer go to two virtual
>>  >>  servers on one real server.  Something like
>>  >>
>>  >>  Listen 80
>>  >>  NameVirtualHost *:80
>>  >>
>>  >>  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.2:80>
>>  >>  HostName www.myhostname.com
>>  >>  ...
>>  >>  </VirtualHost>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.3:80>
>>  >>  HostName www.myhostname.com
>>  >>  ...
>>  >>  </VirtualHost>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.2:80>
>>  >>  HostName www.someotherhostname.com
>>  >>  ....
>>  >>  </VirtualHost>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  Hosts one and two work fine, but the third host gets matched by the
>>  >>  first one.  How can I make it match properly?
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > What does the Host header look like when it gets to apache? I suspect
>>  > your load balancer is sending a Host header that doesn't match
>>  > www.someotherhostname.com, meaning there is no way for apache to route
>>  > it correctly.
>>  >
>>  > Joshua.
>>  >

>>  The host header is fine.  The third host is not going through the lb,
>>  but is pointed directly at this server, so that wouldn't be the issue.
>>  Hosts 1 and 2 work fine, so the host header is fine there too.
>>

> Did you actually verify that by logging it?
>
> Hosts 1 and 2 are IP-based virtual hosts, so the host header is irrelevant.

I think therein lies the problem.  If they're IP based virtualHosts then
they will match everything for that ip.  As you can see Hosts 1 and 3
share the IP.

Here is what I want to do.  I want all the hosts to be name based
virtual hosts.  Hosts 1 and 2 should be on separate ips, so therefore
they will be hit properly from the LB.  Host 3 will have a different
host header so it will be matched properly too.

How do I make a name based virtual host without having it listen on all
the ips?

Russ