httpd-users mailing list archives

From matthias platzer <mplat...@inode.at>
Subject [users@httpd] reverse proxy, disable compression to/from backend, DEFLATE to client
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:38:08 GMT
hello list,

My Apache 2.2.3 does reverse proxy to an internal backend
(application)server which does Content-Encoding:gzip (=compression) on
most of the content he delivers, by default. The Proxy* directives are
inside a virtual host.
But I'd like the proxy to do all the compression work,
a) because mod_security cannot handle encoded content(in the response
from backend),
b) it would be redundant to compress the already compressed content.

So to talk to the backend uncompressed, I strip the Accept-Encoding with
"Request-Header unset Accept-Encoding" from the client request. Now the
backend sends its responses without compression. But they go to the
client uncompressed too, of course.

What would I have to do to let the proxy compress the response to the
client (again)? Simply setting the SetOutputFilter DEFLATE is not enough.
Also I would have to deal with clients not supporting compression on the
proxy myself, instead of letting the backend do the work.

Best Regards,
matthias