httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael McGlothlin <micha...@swplumb.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Content-Length for HEAD when using compression?
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:42:41 GMT

>> I'm using PHP to dynamically serve images and am using compression on
>>  the output. For GET I know that I should make the Content-Length header
>>  the size of the compressed data. For HEAD requests do I do the same or
>>  do I provide the uncompressed Content-Length? Thanks.
>>
> HEAD responses should be identical to GET responses without the content body.

That's what I thought but when testing if I supply a Content-Length (of
any kind) then reloads take considerably longer (~6x as long) as if I
don't specify any Content-Length header. I'd expect better page reload
times if all images had their size defined. Not sure why it'd be so much
slower with more precise information in the headers.

--
Michael McGlothlin
Southwest Plumbing Supply