httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Neil A. Hillard" <neil.hill...@agustawestland.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_perl, PerlAuthenHandler and REMOTE_USER
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:47:41 GMT
Craig,

Craig Dunigan wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Neil A. Hillard wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>     I've been having a dabble, using a perl module to handle some of
>> our authentication requirements.  I have the perl auth handler working
>> successfully but the username is not logged in access_log.
>>
>> I have the following code in my perl module:
>>
>> my $username = "test_user";
>> $r->user($username);
>>
>> return OK;
>>
>> I can see from my PHP script that the REMOTE_USER variable has been
>> set successfully.
>>
>> I am using the following LogFormat for access_log:
>>
>> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
>> \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
>>
>> Any pointers as to how I can get the username logged in access_log?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>

>>                 Neil.
>>

> I found it necessary to do the following in my Perl auth handler as well
> as $r->user($username) (assuming Apache2 API):
>
> $r->subprocess_env('REMOTE_USER' => $username);

> $r->set_basic_credentials($username, $password);

Bingo - that's the one.  As password doesn't make sense I've set it to
"" and it works a treat.

> I can't exactly recall the reasons, something about which process
> (parent or child) writes the environment variables vs. which process
> does the logging, or perhaps the order in which Apache sets variables
> and writes to the log.  Or perhaps it was just overkill on my part, not
> wanting to miss anything.  But it's working for me.

Many thanks,

				Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    neil.hillard@agustawestland.com
AgustaWestland                  http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
             views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.