httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Anyone want to help me get started
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 14:40:50 GMT
Johnny Kewl wrote:

> Couldnt help smiling when I saw this question, I think to answer it
> properly, one could write a book.

:-)  Just to offer a few historical corrections...

> If I'm not mistaken HttpD is the project that started it all, its the
> mother ship of open source community driven projects.

Far from it, but yes, httpd was the first *Apache* project.  But far from
even an early open source project.

> I think the enabling force behind the whole open source concept is
> linux, its a machine that takes source code as its input, the compiler
> is part of the OS, and its founder keeps it that way.

There again - Linux was a latecomer (even to GNU's table).  The biggest
earliest community of httpd community were primarily BSD folks.  But httpd
and ncsa web server both go back to roots in BSD, Linux and several other
unix'es, it was always conceived as multi-platform through posix api's.

> Thats where I think the roots are...

Hope this clears up any confusion Johnny ;-)

Bill