httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] reverse proxy, disable compression to/from backend, DEFLATE to client
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:52:54 GMT
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 00:38:08 +0100
matthias platzer <mplatzer@inode.at> wrote:

> hello list,
>
> My Apache 2.2.3 does reverse proxy to an internal backend
> (application)server which does Content-Encoding:gzip (=compression)
> on most of the content he delivers, by default. The Proxy* directives
> are inside a virtual host.

Can you not configure the backend not to send you compressed?

> But I'd like the proxy to do all the compression work,
> a) because mod_security cannot handle encoded content(in the response
> from backend),

You can of course decompress on the proxy if necessary, for the
benefit of content filters (such as mod_security).

> b) it would be redundant to compress the already compressed content.
>
> So to talk to the backend uncompressed, I strip the Accept-Encoding
> with "Request-Header unset Accept-Encoding" from the client request.
> Now the backend sends its responses without compression. But they go
> to the client uncompressed too, of course.

Yep.

> What would I have to do to let the proxy compress the response to the
> client (again)? Simply setting the SetOutputFilter DEFLATE is not
> enough. Also I would have to deal with clients not supporting
> compression on the proxy myself, instead of letting the backend do
> the work.

You can use force-gzip to override the absence of Accept-Encoding.
Use mod_rewrite to set it conditionally, before stripping the real
Accept-Encoding header.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/