httpd-users mailing list archives

From Scott Courtney <scourt...@sinenomine.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Server Side Include (SSI) is slower than PHP ?
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:49:13 GMT
On Monday 18 February 2008 02:49:09 howard chen wrote:
> I was surprised that PHP is faster, i.e.
>
> ab -n 2000 -c 10  http://localhost/benchmark.php => 99 reqs/sec
> ab -n 2000 -c 10  http://localhost/benchmark.shtml => 61 reqs/sec
>
> my PHP version is 5.2.5, and even don't have any code cache libraries
> (e.g. APC/eA) installed.

I haven't run this kind of test recently, because the sites I work on mostly
are complex enough (typically intranet rather than internet) that performance
constraints are in the business application rather than the web layer. But I
also observed this sort of thing back in the days of Apache 2.0.x, and so your
numbers don't particularly surprise me. The Zend optimizer in PHP is pretty
smart, in my experience.

I'm sorry not to add any more depth of understanding beyond a simple, "No,
you're not crazy," but as I said the raw speed of an include was never an
issue for my largely database-constrained apps, so although I observed these
kind of results I never needed to dig deeper. Our test was run on a lark, not
due to actual need.

Scott