httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Adam Martin" <Adam.Mar...@infor.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Question on permissions
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:30:41 GMT
Richard,

I'm new to the group and thought I'd take a crack at this one.  Is
www-data a user or group?  From the end of your email it sounds like a
user since you added it to the rgeddes group but I am a little confused
when you changed the group from rgeddes to www-data in the middle of
your example.  If it is a group then I don't believe you can add a group
to another group in the /etc/group file.

If it is a user I did a quick test one of our servers to verify but I
don't believe the adding of a user to a group is dynamic.  In order for
the new group assignment to take affect I had to log out and log in as
the test user for the id command to reflect the change.  You didn't
mention it in your email but did you try and restart your server after
adding the www-data user to the rgeddes group?

My apologies if I am misunderstanding your question.

________________________________

From: Richard Geddes [mailto:rich.geddes@verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:08 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Question on permissions

Thanks for the response.

I set up a directory under the main DocumentRoot called test

drwxr-xr-x 2 rgeddes rgeddes  80 2008-02-18 15:18 test

and it appeared in a directory listing in the webpage of my main
DocumentRoot.

Changed permissions as follows:

drwxr-x--- 2 rgeddes rgeddes  80 2008-02-18 15:18 test

and test disappears from the webpage (this makes sense)

changed group as follows:

drwxr-x--- 2 rgeddes www-data  80 2008-02-18 15:18 test

and test appears in the webpage (this makes sense) as the servers are
running as www-data.

Now if I change the group back to:

drwxr-x--- 2 rgeddes rgeddes  80 2008-02-18 15:18 test

and I add www-data to the rgeddes group in /etc/group, the directory
fails to show up.  This does not make sense to me as www-data is part of
the rgeddes group and rgeddes has r-x permissions.

Is there a reason why www-data is not being granted rgeddes group
permissions?

Thanks
Richard

Joshua Slive wrote:

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Richard Geddes