httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Bartmess <dbartm...@denver.oilfield.slb.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Problem seeing directory outside of APACHE_HOME
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:20:40 GMT
I figured it out. Now I just need to learn SElinux... SELinux was causing
the permissions problem, noted that when I "setenforce 0" on the system,
everything works.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this? I'll join the redhat selinux forum to
see if they can give me an answer...

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: jslive@gmail.com [mailto:jslive@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Joshua Slive
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:37 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Problem seeing directory outside of APACHE_HOME

On Feb 19, 2008 10:29 AM, David Bartmess
<dbartmess@denver.oilfield.slb.com> wrote:
> The error log says:
>
> [Mon Feb 18 15:42:21 2008] [error] [client 163.185.56.153] 1) Can't open
> directory (/data/holding): Permission denied
>
> I'm wondering if this is because that mount (/data) is a NAS drive or
> something which Apache can't handle... I've changed the ownership of the
> holding directory and its contents to apache, chmod'd to 777, tried
> everything I know of...

I've never seen that exact error message. What OS are you using and
how are you mounting the drive?

But in any case, this is clearly the same issue as is discussed here:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/13PermissionDenied
It is not a question of Apache not being able to handle the drive, but
simply of your permissions being set such that the apache User/Group
doesn't have access. As mentioned on the wiki page, you need to check
not only /data/holding but also /data. If the User/Group specified in
httpd.conf doesn't have search permission (chmod +x) on that
directory, it can't get to the subdirectory.

Joshua.