httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to configure httpd process time
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 07:31:31 GMT

Yes and no. It is quite normal for apache to spawn many httpd processes
that then sit and wait for requests. If more requests come in, more
servers will start up (up to a limit). If requests stop coming in,
processes will die off until they are reduced to a certain limit. This
is how apache adjusts the resources it uses according to the server
load.

Processes are recycled (stopped and restarted), not based on time but
according to how many requests they have served (see
MaxRequestsPerChild).

If you want to tune your server, read
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/prefork.html for details on how
this all works.

More generally, you shouldn't worry about the memory that apache is
using when idle. For a start, a lot of the memory is shared so you don't
simply add up all the footprints from "top". Even if you do, the total
should still be a small fraction of your computer's memory. If it isn't
then, your computer is under-resourced and you shouldn't be using it as
a webserver.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

PS: If this isn't what you are asking, post back with a more precise
question...

> Regs
> lahiru

or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the
sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system.
Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. The sender's company reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.