httpd-users mailing list archives

From "joshua vogelstein" <josh...@jhu.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] reseting the apache server
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:13:25 GMT
sometimes i modify my httpd.conf file to try to add a function (eg,
file-serving).  however, this often results in some kind of error, and the
apache server will not restart.  problematically, even after commenting out
the additional lines of code, the apache server still refuses to start.  if
i reboot my computer, everything works fine again.  i am using apache
2.0.61and windows XP.  i'm using this old version of apache because i
was unable
to get the new version working with subversion and windows XP.  when trying
to restart (after the httpd.conf file is fixed) i receive the following
error:

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network
address/port)
is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  21...

suggesting to me that the port is unavailable.  this is incredibly annoying
because i'm doing all this work remotely, so i have to reboot my system
remotely each time i screw something up, which is quite often.  any body
know a way around this?

thanks, joshua