httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Axel-Stephane SMORGRAV" <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Multiple Instances of Apache
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:51:15 GMT
Given the nature of your question I am starting to suspect that what you actually want is name-based
virtual hosting. If you are only doing HTTP (as opposed to httpS) you can serve as many sites
as you like on the same IP/ports combination. In that case you only need one instance containing
two or more virtual hosts for the same IP/port, each with a different ServerName. You would
also need to declare the ip/port as NameVirtualHost.

Read http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html for more details.

-ascs

________________________________

De : Mandy Singh [mailto:mandys@gmail.com]
Envoyé : vendredi 18 janvier 2008 18:48
À : users@httpd.apache.org
Objet : Re: [users@httpd] Multiple Instances of Apache

Thanks ascs. This is a good explanation.

The only other question that partially remains unanswered is that if I run apacheN on port
80 (and access my site as http://mysite.com) and run apacheN+1 on port 8080 (and access site
as http://mysecondsite.com:8080) - what can i do special to access http://mysecondsite.com:8080
without the port number (as if it was running on port 80). Did you get what I was trying to
say? Is this a legtimate question? :)