httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache freezes the virtual machine.
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:16:56 GMT
On Dec 26, 2007 1:12 PM, Asrai khn <asraikhn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2007 9:05 PM, Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
> > Anyway, what that tells you is that one of those scripts is likely the
> > culprit that is gobbling down all the memory in your box. Take a look
> > at all the scripts that were being requested and see if you can figure
> > out what is going wrong.
>
> Joshua,
>
> Ok we are moving the faulty site off our shared web  server to dedicated
> hosting.
>
> However Also, need to figure how to protect ourself better against this kind
> of
> thing on shared webs. Limiting resource usage of apache spawned user
> processes via apache config options?

Not when you are running scripting engines in the same process as the
web server.

Here are some notes on the general issue of privelege separation.
Resource limitting is a different, but quite related issue with
similar solutions.
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/PrivilegeSeparation

In general, if you need resource limitting you should get the
scripting engines out of the web server process, either by using
cgi/fast-cgi, or by running multiple web server instances.

Joshua.