httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] outdated material on apache web-site
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2007 03:26:01 GMT
On Dec 22, 2007 7:04 PM, Victor Trac <victor.trac@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a constructive response that the original poster would have
> appreciated.  I'm sure he wasn't the first person to be confused by
> the outdated documentation, but just the first to bother to take the
> time to write to the mailing list about it.  Telling him to ignore the
> page and not to trust any old google search is akin to saying that his
> input is not valuable.

Although this thread has gone on way too far already, I'll point out
that this wasn't just some flippant remark made to annoy someone. It
was advice that I consider to be valuable.

Taking a page that you stumble upon in a search as accurate without
considering its context is a bad idea. How did he know that this page
wasn't linked from a page on the apache site specifying "The following
pages are of historical interest only." (And, effectively, the absence
of links to this page says exactly that.) And being under apache.org
is not sufficient context. There are literally thousands (and quite
likely millions) of pages under apache.org that give outdated,
erroneous, and possibly even dangerous information if you take them
out of context.

Search engines are great, but don't forget about context.

Joshua.