httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] caching of static images
Date Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:32:03 GMT
On Dec 14, 2007 2:38 PM, monarchs <ajayup@gmail.com> wrote:

> A question about the caching of static images, if the response header
> contains both Expires and Etag, will the client browser make call to server
> to validate Etag is fresh. I want to avoid the 304 requests as I know the
> files will never change, and want to know if setting both headers causes any
> issues.

This is up to the browser. I believe that in their default config,
most browsers will do an if-modified-since request once per session
but use the cached copy otherwise if the Cache-control max-age is set
correctly. Expires is not used by HTTP/1.1 browsers and I don't think
any of them care about etags if Last-Modified is present.

Joshua.