httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:28:06 GMT

Because HTTPS and HTTP are two different protocols.

HTTPS is a protocol that encapsulates HTTP. That is, when you type in an
HTTPS URL in a browser, it first tries to establish an SSL-session with
the server's mod_ssl engine. Once that's up, the browser and server then
use HTTP in the normal way, but each frame is encrypted and decrypted at
the interfaces. So at the start of a session, the server listening on
port 443 is an HTTPS server and cannot receive plain HTTP requests. So
you need a second VH to listen to HTTP traffic and redirect it to HTTPS.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Is it safe that both virtual hosts share the same log files?
>

> >  You need to create 2 virtual hosts: one for port 80 where
> SSL is NOT enabled, and one on port 443 where SSL is enabled.
> You will also need two Listen directives: one for each of
> ports 80 and 443.
> >
> > Listen *:80
> > Listen *:443
> >
> > <VirtualHost *:443>
> >
> >    ServerName my.server.com:443
> >
> >    SSLCertificateFile /sslcerts/crt/my.server.com.crt
> >    SSLCertificateKeyFile /sslcerts/key/my.server.com.key
> >    SSLEngine on
> >
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >
> >    ServerName my.server.com:80