httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hans Tovetjärn <h...@mantoray.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Custom hostname and Apache 2.2.6
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:43:14 GMT
Hello!

I'm a bit new to this, but here goes. My computer is a MacBook Pro
with Mac OS X 10.4.11, I am not using the bundled Apach 1.3 server,
it has not been activated prior to this. I installed Apache 2.2.6 (as
well as PHP and MySQL...) through MacPorts (DarwinPorts) and it has
been working flawlessly. It is when I attempt the following I can't
make it work.

I have a fancy prompt in Terminal, which displays
"username@hostname>", however, I would like the hostname to be the
computer name, i.e. I want it to look like "hans@laptop>", because
the current hostname is "host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx" which can clutter up the
screen a bit too much for me. Now this I solved by typing...

	> sudo hostname laptop

...but after that, I can't seem to start Apache. If I change it back
to "host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx", all is well. But I want the short name, so I
try again. The error message I get is as follows:

	httpd: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for laptop
	httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

This is supposedly merely a warning according to http://
wiki.apache.org/httpd/CouldNotDetermineServerName but if I open my
browser and go to 127.0.0.1 it can't find the server. Nor can I see
it listed if I do a

	> ps aux | grep httpd

So it would seem it never started at all. I then tried setting my
hostname in httpd.conf to the following and restarting Apache 2,
without success:

	laptop
	127.0.0.1
	host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx (my old hostname)
	127.0.0.1:80
	host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx:80
	host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx.serva.net (ISP)

None of them worked, I tried changing the listen directive as well to
my IP, but that wouldn't help me either. Is it possible to use a
custom hostname and have Apache run simultaneously?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Hans