httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tamer Embaby <Tamer.Emb...@itworx.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache mod_rewrite/mod_proxy conflict?
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:56:30 GMT
Dear all,

I have the following simple setup:

[1] LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
[2] LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
[3] LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
[4] RewriteEngine on
[5] ProxyPass /testing http://myserverB/
[6] ProxyPassReverse /testing http://myserverB/
[7] RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://myserverA/$1 [P]

My problem is:

When I access http://myserver/testing/index.html, it gets handled by the
rewrite rule and not the proxy module.

The interesting point if I changed the order of LoadModule directives
so now it reads:
[1] LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
[2] LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
[3] LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

The proxy module handles the request and not the rewrite module!

Is this behavior documented somewhere? Where can I read about it? I
tried to Google a lot with no good. How can I control it?

Moreover, what if I compiled in the rewrite_mod and proxy_mod statically
into Apache, how would I control the order of modules calling then?

I did my home work, scanned the FAQ, Googled but I cannot come up with
any technical explanation for this.

Thanks a lot for your attention.

Regards,
Tamer