httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hans Tovetjärn <h...@mantoray.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Custom hostname and Apache 2.2.6
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:10:14 GMT
Hello,

there is no such line in /etc/hosts, unfortunately:

"##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1	localhost
255.255.255.255	broadcasthost
::1             localhost "

My IP is recieved through DHCP, so I'm not sure if it's permanent? As
for the advice regarding setting my computer name in the System
Preferences pane, I have already done that, but it doesn't seem to
affect the \u in terminal.

> Here's a shot in the dark.
>
> The file /etc/hosts most probably has a line containing host-xx-xxx-
> xx-xxx, associating the host name with an IP address, looking
> somewhat like this:
>
> 10.11.12.14 host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx
>
> Edit that line and add laptop:
>
> 10.11.12.14 host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx laptop
>

> I think that should do the trick. In order to permanently change
> the hostname, I believe you would need to modify the file /etc/
> hostname and/or /etc/nodename. You would need root privileges for
> that.
>

> -ascs

Regards,

Hans