httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul <p...@javathinking.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using ProxyPass exclude with directory containing .htaccess
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 02:49:13 GMT
Vincent Bray wrote:
> On 10/12/2007, Paul <paul@javathinking.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, I have tried using <Directory> but I haven't got it to prompt
>> for a username and password yet. I just copied the contents of .htaccess:
>>
>> <Directory /var/www/mysite/stats>
>> AuthType Basic
>> AuthName 'Members Only'
>> AuthUserFile /var/www/mysite/.htpasswd
>> <limit GET PUT POST>
>> require valid-user
>> </limit>
>> </Directory>
>>

> Please read the regdeveloper link I posted. It'll show why Limit is
> wrong too :-)
>
> And don't put your passwords file in the document root. Even with a
> block on .ht* files that's just asking for trouble.

Thanks again, I've removed the limit directive, but still can't get the
protection working.
(don't worry, the .htpasswd file isn't in the document root - I just
made a typo when removing the real directories for posting - well
spotted though!)

I am reading and re-reading the regdeveloper link trying to see what
I've missed.

Thanks.