httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Axel-Stephane SMORGRAV" <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] mod_filter being ignored (ProxyReverse, IIS Backend forced deflate content)
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:30:22 GMT
Maybe I am being a little naive, but I am very surprised that IIS compresses the contents without
adding a Content-Encoding header to the response in which case you your browser should be
able to decompress it. It seems more likely that there is an application that generates compressed
contents without adding the required headers.

Having a correct Content-Encoding header in a response may not be enough, however. There used
to be problems with IE not decoding contents before passing it to plug-ins like SVG or PDF.
I specifically remember that at some point the implementation of the SVG plugin changed so
it was able to recognize compressed contents and decompress it instead of the browser doing
so. Maybe that is what you are up against. We will not know unless you are a little more specific
about the kind of contents that you are not able to browse correctly and the headers in the

The Content-Type of the respone could also be wrong thereby preventing the contents to be
displayed by the appropriate plug-in.

Finally, try replacing

       FilterProvider myfilter inflate req=Accept-Encoding *

with

       FilterProvider myfilter inflate req=Accept-Encoding !$.

-ascs