httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Axel-Stephane SMORGRAV" <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Custom hostname and Apache 2.2.6
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 07:46:14 GMT
Here's a shot in the dark.

The file /etc/hosts most probably has a line containing host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx, associating the
host name with an IP address, looking somewhat like this:

10.11.12.14 host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx

Edit that line and add laptop:

10.11.12.14 host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx laptop

I think that should do the trick. In order to permanently change the hostname, I believe you
would need to modify the file /etc/hostname and/or /etc/nodename. You would need root privileges
for that.

-ascs

________________________________

De : Hans Tovetjärn [mailto:hans@mantoray.com]
Envoyé : mardi 18 décembre 2007 00:43
À : users@httpd.apache.org
Objet : [users@httpd] Custom hostname and Apache 2.2.6

Hello!

I'm a bit new to this, but here goes. My computer is a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.4.11,
I am not using the bundled Apach 1.3 server, it has not been activated prior to this. I installed
Apache 2.2.6 (as well as PHP and MySQL...) through MacPorts (DarwinPorts) and it has been
working flawlessly. It is when I attempt the following I can't make it work.

I have a fancy prompt in Terminal, which displays "username@hostname>", however, I would
like the hostname to be the computer name, i.e. I want it to look like "hans@laptop>",
because the current hostname is "host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx" which can clutter up the screen a bit
too much for me. Now this I solved by typing...

> sudo hostname laptop

...but after that, I can't seem to start Apache. If I change it back to "host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx",
all is well. But I want the short name, so I try again. The error message I get is as follows:

httpd: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for laptop
httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1
for ServerName

This is supposedly merely a warning according to http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/CouldNotDetermineServerName
but if I open my browser and go to 127.0.0.1 it can't find the server. Nor can I see it listed
if I do a

> ps aux | grep httpd

So it would seem it never started at all. I then tried setting my hostname in httpd.conf to
the following and restarting Apache 2, without success:

laptop

127.0.0.1

host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx (my old hostname)

127.0.0.1:80

host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx:80
host-xx-xxx-xx-xxx.serva.net (ISP)

None of them worked, I tried changing the listen directive as well to my IP, but that wouldn't
help me either. Is it possible to use a custom hostname and have Apache run simultaneously?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Hans