httpd-users mailing list archives

From Christian Folini <christian.fol...@post.ch>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Logging question
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2007 07:26:33 GMT
On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 09:01:41AM +0100, Boyle Owen wrote:
> > Is it possible to log incoming connections that don't send any data?
>
> Don't think so... HTTP is an application that sits on top of TCP/IP. So
> the session is established at the TCP/IP layer and the server is ready
> to pipe any incoming data to apache. But, at this point, apache is
> unaware of the connection so cannot log it or anything. Only when the
> client sends a request (is that what you mean by "data"?) does apache
> realise there is anybody there.

The logging phase is more or less the last phase within the apache
request lifecycle. Without "data", there is not request, thus no
lifecycle and thus no logging.

I believe this has been discussed here recently within the following
thread:
http://marc.info/?t=119539991500001&r=1&w=2
Don't think they have found a solution though. I gave up somewhere
along the line.

regs,

Christian