httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Techman" <tech...@netscan.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] .htaccess and hotlinking question/problem
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2007 01:18:20 GMT

I have read about a hundred pages on hotlinking today and I have been trying
to implement an .htaccess file to prevent it, but so far nothing is working.

I am using Slackware Linux 10 and Apache 1.3.36.

What I want to do is stop people from directly downloading from my DL
directory.

i.e. www.mysite.com/download/myfile.avi

If they type in the above I want an error page displayed.

Currently I have an .htaccess file in the root directory of my site, as
follows.

RewriteEngine on
RewriteOptions inherit

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER}!^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.mysite.ca/.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule .*.(avi|AVI|mpg|MPG|wmv|WMV|swf|SWF)$ - [F]

This is very simplistic, but I just want to get it working, then I can add
other options or whatever.

Any help on what I am doing wrong is appreciated, or any other solutions to
stop direct downloading.

Thanks