httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] html not rendered in some browsers
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:33:41 GMT
On Nov 2, 2007 8:41 AM, Rick Hobson <r.j.hobson@reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running Apache 2.2 on SuSe 10.2 for several months without any
> problems.
>
> Early yesterday evening all contact with the server was lost. This seems
> to have been a problem of some sort with networking rather than a problem
> with Apache2. The server is also running a Samba service and this couldn't
> be contacted either, nor could the machine be pinged.
>
> The machine was rebooted (cleanly using the appropriate command) and there
> were no obvious errors as it started up. The Samba service was restored
> and seems to be working normally. Apache2 restarted without any errors.
> Network connections were restored and seem to be working normally.
>
> However, none of the pages are now rendered in Firefox or Konqueror, they
> simply display the html, whereas IE6 renders the pages normally!!

This is a very strong sign that the Content-Type headers emitted by
the server are incorrect. MSIE has a bad habit of ignoring these
headers and guessing at the content-type.

So check your AddType/DefaultType/TypesConfig directives in httpd.conf
and also look at the raw HTTP headers from the server for more clues:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/WatchingHttpHeaders

Joshua.