httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rick Hobson <r.j.hob...@reading.ac.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: html not rendered in some browsers - problem solved
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:00:29 GMT
Hi,

Problem solved

/etc/mime.types had become corrupted and was of zero length. I have
replaced it with a copy from another machine running the same O/S,
restarted the browser and all seems well.

Apologies for creating unnecessary noise on the list.

Rick

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Rick Hobson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been running Apache 2.2 on SuSe 10.2 for several months without any
> problems.
>
> Early yesterday evening all contact with the server was lost. This seems to
> have been a problem of some sort with networking rather than a problem with
> Apache2. The server is also running a Samba service and this couldn't be
> contacted either, nor could the machine be pinged.
>
> The machine was rebooted (cleanly using the appropriate command) and there
> were no obvious errors as it started up. The Samba service was restored and
> seems to be working normally. Apache2 restarted without any errors. Network
> connections were restored and seem to be working normally.
>
> However, none of the pages are now rendered in Firefox or Konqueror, they
> simply display the html, whereas IE6 renders the pages normally!!
>
> The server is set up to parse both .html and .shtml so that I can use server
> side includes on all pages. These seem to be working in all browsers, the
> html code displayed by Firefox and Konqueror shows all the SSI's as part of
> the file and IE displays the pages as expected.
>
> No alterations have been made to the server configuration so I can only
> assume something has become corrupted.
>
> Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking? I'm baffled.
>
> Rick Hobson

Dr. R.J.Hobson
IT Manager/Learning Technology Co-ordinator
School of Chemistry, Food Biosciences and Pharmacy
University of Reading
RG6 6AD
0118 378 6375