httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Axel-Stephane SMORGRAV" <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Using a proxy manually from a webbrowser?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:51:33 GMT
you're cruising for a bruising.

The only way I can imagine it would possible to achieve this would be by creating a reverse
proxy.

First of all, even if this is possible using mod_rewrite, you will not be able to rewrite
the Location headers (ProxyPassReverse) to make redirects work correctly. You will also need
to rewrite all links in HTML (and even non-HTML) contents so that they point to your proxy
and use the correct URL path, which may work for a number of web sites, but which will certainly
fail for others.

If that was not enough, you expose yourself to all kinds of troubles by allowing anyone to
hide themselves behind your (reverse) proxy.

-ascs

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Martin Fick [mailto:mogulguy@yahoo.com]
Envoyé : jeudi 8 novembre 2007 08:31
À : users@httpd.apache.org
Objet : [users@httpd] Using a proxy manually from a webbrowser?

Hi,

This may sound like a strange question, but I am trying to use mod_proxy in a way which I
have not yet seen described anywhere.  What I would like to do is accept connections on my
webserver for certain URLs,
say:

http://myapache.com/useproxy/website.com/webpage.html

where example myapache.com is my web server and website.com/webpage.html is the http URL of
some page that I would like the user to be proxied to.  The trick that makes my question different
from a normal ProxyPass setup is that I would like to chain the request through a proxy server,
say privoxy.  The end result should be that the page returned by th webserver (myapache.com)
should actually be http://website.com/webpage.html but the request has to go through privoxy!

The idea is that a user could make use of privoxy running on my website without having to
configure a proxy in their browser (imagine that they already have to use a proxy to get out
of their corporate firewall).  Then they could still benefit from using privoxy by accessing
it with my web server manually.

If there are any other ways of manually making use of a proxy server from a browser without
using the proxy setting in a browser that would be a welcomed alternative to what I am suggesting.

Thanks,

-Martin