httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Birren <nickbir...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Serving a file while it is being created
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:14:56 GMT
Hi

I'm trying to serve a video file with Apache while it is still being created (I have a separate
server-side application that generates videos, the process takes a few minutes per video and
I would like my users to be able to start downloading right away and not wait for the video
to be generated).

The problem is that even if my client reads the response slowly enough to allow for the whole
file to be generated, I still get only the part of the file that was available when the HTTP
request was made - I suppose this is because the server checks for the length of file when
it starts to serve, rather than serving until it meets EOF. Is there any workaround for that?

I'd be happy if there's some module or configuration parameters that will do the trick but
I can also write some code if needed... My other option is integrating a streaming server
and I'm looking for a faster way to go.

Thanks,
Nick.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs