httpd-users mailing list archives

From Arne Heizmann <Arne.Heizm...@csr.com>
Subject [users@httpd] SSPI auth Optional?
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:51:56 GMT

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is at all possible, so correct me if I'm chasing a
ghost... I'm in the following situation:

We have a system which already has an authentication mechanism (using
cookies). We want to change this so that it uses mod_sspi, like this:

   <Location />
     AuthName "website name goes here"
     AuthType SSPI
     SSPIAuth On
     SSPIAuthoritative On
     SSPIOfferBasic On
     SSPIBasicPreferred Off
     Require valid-user
   </Location>

However, we also have automated scripts accessing the same server, and
we don't want to have to change them all, so we want the SSPI
authentication to be _optional_.

Unfortunately it appears that if I remove the "Require valid-user" line,
the browser doesn't send the authentication credentials at all (doesn't
even prompt the user).

Is it at all possible to have a system where the username/password box
pops up in the browser, but if the user presses Cancel, the website is
still viewable (in my case a PHP script which would then output the
Access Denied message as appropriate)?

Thanks!
Arne