httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alex Dean <a...@crackpot.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] logging php usage and directory index pages
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:43:44 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2007 12:21 PM, Alex Dean <alex@crackpot.org> wrote:
>> Can anyone help with this?
>>
>> alex@crackpot.org wrote:
>>> Two questions about logging:
>>>
>>> 1. Can I log whether or not the current request was operated on by mod_php?
>>>
>>> I want to determine what % of my requests are PHP.  I've tried to
>>> determine this based on filename, but with ForceType and other
>>> configuration directives, it's possible for a file to be parsed as PHP
>>> even if it doesn't have the .php file extension.
>>>
>>> I saw the log formatter "%...{Foobar}n      The contents of note Foobar
>>> from another module.", and that sounds promising, but I'm really not
>>> sure what it means, or what value I might use for {Foobar}.
>>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats
>
> I believe php adds a special http response header to its requests

That's exactly what I needed.  Thanks!

>>> 2. Can I log the actual file that was served, even for directory indexes?
>>>
>>> I've tried the '%f' log format, and for http://site.com requests, I get
>>> a log of '/var/www/site.com/htdocs/'.  If the directory index file was
>>> 'index.html', I'd like '/var/www/site.com/htdocs/index.html' to get into
>>> the log somehow.
>
> I don't believe that is possible. There are many ways that a request
> can get mapped to a file, so there is no way for apache to determine
> definitively what has happened. You can take a look at the different
> available environment variables (using a printenv cgi script) and try
> turning RewriteEnging On, which sets a few extra variables.

But one way or another Apache has to actually read a file off the disk
(or cache) and send it to the client.  Apache doesn't expose that
through logging directives?

It's exactly because there are so many ways that a file can be accessed
(DirectoryIndex, Rewrite rules, etc) that I'm looking for a better
answer than just the URL that was requested.

thanks,
alex