httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael McGlothlin <micha...@swplumb.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache as non-root
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:29:30 GMT
The system I use keeps administrators at arms length by requiring they
interact with servers through a service that lets them do the desired
admin tasks such as working with users and groups, configuring services,
starting/stopping services, etc. All functions can be individually
allowed or denied to individual users or groups. Of course you still
need actual system administrators for some things but it allows me to
extend control to other users with fine-grained control and has the
bonus that admins can manage all our servers through an easy-to-use
client app and even manage groups of servers together.

I rolled my own for building the mgmt console but such things can just
be purchased I'd imagine. Or it's not to difficult to code your own - I
used XML-RPC over Jabber written in Python.

--
Michael McGlothlin
Southwest Plumbing Supply