httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sameer Naik <samee...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] byte-range request and 200 response code
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:59:38 GMT
Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Here is some more information.

The file being served here, is  121MB in size, is actually being served by tomcat. I am assuming
that range header will be passed to tomcat and it will take care of serving the required range.
Is this correct?

OTOH, the range requested by client varies from "9392444-" to "122206258-" which means client
is requesting last 112MB to 4MB chunk of the file. There were 250 of such requests in an hour
from one single user to one single tomcat and total 1500 such similar request to same file
from  7 other users during the same hour! Response size varies from 196600 to 663544.

This is causing our tomcat thread count to go high which is resulting in poor overall site
performance.

We are suspecting that users are using some kind of download manager and that is misbehaving,
but before concluding that I wanted to check if this is valid behavior for Apache/Tomcat.

Thanks,

Sameer