httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Serving UTF-8 filenames under Linux
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:12:13 GMT
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:23:41 +0000 (UTC)
anatoly techtonik <techtonik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where are setting for filename encoding used by Apache httpd to find
> files with international symbols in their names?

What does the ErrorLog say when you get an unexpected 404?
Turn up the LogLevel if necessary.

> I need to serve files named in russian. I've successfully setup
> Tomcat to do this using UTF-8 encoding, but static resources are
> given out by Apache httpd on production server. Apache receives UTF-8
> russian letters as two-byte sequences correctly as it's seen in
> access logs, but fails with 404 to find them on disk.

I'm sure the russian apache folks who wrote mod_charset (i.e. not
the mod_charset_lite bundled with apache) would know.  I can't help,
because I wouldn't know a russian filename in the first place.

> I've tried to rename files in different encoding with no effect.
> Ideally I would like to make Apache threat all filenames as UTF-8 Are
> there any settings? The version of httpd is unknown, but seems to be
> latest from 1.3.x branch.

Find out with httpd -v.  If it really is 1.3 (which is from 1998),
it may be too old to do anything with.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/