httpd-users mailing list archives

From anatoly techtonik <techto...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Serving UTF-8 filenames under Linux
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:23:41 GMT
Where are setting for filename encoding used by Apache httpd to find files with
international symbols in their names?

I need to serve files named in russian. I've successfully setup Tomcat to do
this using UTF-8 encoding, but static resources are given out by Apache httpd on
production server. Apache receives UTF-8 russian letters as two-byte sequences
correctly as it's seen in access logs, but fails with 404 to find them on disk.

Under windows it helped to rename files into native windows-1251 encoding, but
what can I do on Linux box with the following 'locale' configuration?

$ locale
LANG=en_US
LANGUAGE=en_RU:en_US:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

$ locale -a
en_US
en_US.iso88591
POSIX
ru_RU
ru_RU.cp1251

I've tried to rename files in different encoding with no effect. Ideally I would
like to make Apache threat all filenames as UTF-8 Are there any settings? The
version of httpd is unknown, but seems to be latest from 1.3.x branch.