httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eric S. Johansson" <...@harvee.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: snooping on cgi data
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:29:07 GMT
Peter Milanese wrote:

> Eric, your post comes across a bit abbrasive.

my apologies.  It was not intended as such.

> Wireshark (etherreal) is a totally different animal.

in implementation yes, conceptually what I want and wire shark are very similar.
  I have traffic between two points and I want to see what that traffic is.

> You failed to mention what operating system you are running on your servers.

Shouldn't matter.  my nutshell understanding of CGI is a sub process spoken to
by environment variables and/or standard in.  Response comes back on standard
out and any error data should come back on standard error and placed into the
Web server error log.  wiretapping in the standard and/standard out/environment
variables might be different between different operating systems but
conceptually it's the same idea.  Put a tap read the tap

as far web server and operating system, it's some version of Apache 2.mumble
shipped with ubuntu 6.06.

> What I _think_ you want to do is TRACE the process, to see what calls it
> is making to what. This can be done using TRUSS or STRACE.

I'm not sure that will work since I'm running Python code and they'll have a lot
of extraneous calls I don't need to pay attention to.

> The other route is to include debug code in your CGIs. You also failed
> to mention what type of CGIs they are.

Python CGI.  The bug doesn't help because it's probably leftover debugging
information that's causing the problem in the first place.  I've tried a
suggestion someone else made about script log but it's not working.  So,like I
said, my most productive route now is going to be scanning the code with grep
and a careful eye.

---eric