httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] passing enviroment with PasEnv
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2007 00:26:17 GMT
On 10/19/07, loredana loredana <loredana888888@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ok, here's something I don't understand. I've connected my apache and tomcat using mod_jk
> in my httpd.conf I wrote
> SetEnv REMOTE_USER xxx
> PassEnv REMOTE_USER
>
> and then in tomcat I just wrote a file
>
> <% out.print (request.getAttribute("REMOTE_USER")); %> and well enough, I got xxx
printed on the page

> now, I installed a module for authentication in apache, wrote a small php file that prints
out all the headers and I got a big list among which REMOTE_USER had the value equal to the
username. But now, in tomcat, the same small file doesn't return anything even though REMOTE_USER
has a value and in httpd.conf I left the PassEnv REMOTE_USER line.

> So where's the catch? If I set the environment and pass it, tomcat sees it, if it's set
by the authentication module and I just pass it, tomcat doesn't see it. anybody knows why?

PassEnv is used to pass environment variables from the OS shell that
starts apache to apache child processes like CGI scripts.

Per-request env variables are process-local and can't be passed back
to tomcat. You should ask on a tomcat list for the standard way to
pass back auth info.

Joshua.