httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Oscar Haeger" <oscar.hae...@sigma.se>
Subject [users@httpd] Mod_rewrite not an option?
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:02:22 GMT
Hello.

Recently I contacted an organization that I'm a member of about using mod_rewrite The problem
is this.

When I log into "my" page which is something like www.organization.org/myname <http://mail.ssad.local/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://mailssab.sigma.se/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.organization.org/myname>
 I'm redirected to a page similar to www.organization.org/somedir/?id_nr=12345 <http://mail.ssad.local/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://mailssab.sigma.se/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.organization.org/somedir/?id_nr=12345>

I'd like to keep the "pretty" name of www.organization.org/myname <http://mail.ssad.local/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://mailssab.sigma.se/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.organization.org/myname>
 but when asked if they can implement mod_rewrite (they use Apache and Linux) I get the answer
that this is not possible due to some technical reason that they won't tell me.

My question is if you on this list that know a lot about mod_rewrite can tell me if they're
just trying to avoid doing what I asked, or if there really can be a technical reason why
mod_rewrite can't be used.

I'm guessing they're using some sort of template to generate my page as there are lots of
others with the same layout and functionality.

And it seems that the redirection is done via javascript as the "noscript" extension to firefox
seems to prevent the redirection and show me a default error page (page not found). This error-page
seems to be loaded during redirection as I sometime can see the "page not found" header before
being redirected to the proper page (with noscript set to allow or using IE).

For obvious reasons I don't want to tell which organization it is as I don't want to embarras
anyone. I hope you can understand that. And help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Oscar