httpd-users mailing list archives

From <jmacara...@fxdd.com>
Subject [users@httpd] RE: [SPAM] - [users@httpd] application.company.com vs. www.company.com/application? - Email found in subject
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:16:47 GMT
Unless you are using the load balancer ( hardware or software ) or a
load balancing scheme it shouldn't matter.

From: Mark Drummond [mailto:md2600@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 11:09 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [SPAM] - [users@httpd] application.company.com vs.
www.company.com/application? - Email found in subject

Hi all,

I have Apache sitting in front of some WebSphere app servers. So far, we
have always used virtual hosts in Apache to give each application it's
own FQDN. So we have app1.foo.com , app2.foo.com etc. This is leading to
a (small) proliferation of FQDNs, and now I am wondering if it is better
to have a single FQDN and use URIs to separate the applications. In
other words, going to www.foo.com/app1, www.foo.com/app2. So now I am
trying to figure out the pros and cons, and looking for some input on
how others are doing this.

The way I see it, separate FQDNs for every application require more
administration. Because we are doing SSL everywhere I have to use IP
based virtual hosts so I'm creating new interfaces and allocating new IP
addresses for every new application. And then every app requires it's
own certificate. On the other hand, the increased separation between
applications (separate virtual hosts) looks good on paper, and does give
me configuration flexibility, separate log files etc.

Moving to www.foo.com/app# <http://www.foo.com/app>  means I only ever
need one certificate. Adding a new app is as easy as creating a new
directory under htdocs. I end up with just one log file, but that is OK
since awstats can filter for us.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

--
Georgia: Why am I not doing what they're doing?
Rube: Because you're doing what you're doing. When it's time for you to

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. It may contain sensitive and private proprietary or legally
privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission. If you are not the intended recipient,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system,
destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any
part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
FXDirectDealer, LLC reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the
message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them.

Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message
is indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an
offer to deal at any price quoted. Any reference to the terms of
executed transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject
to our formal confirmation. FXDirectDealer, LLC is not responsible for any
recommendation, solicitation, offer or agreement or any information
about any transaction, customer account or account activity contained in
this communication.