httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tonu Mikk <tm...@umn.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] creating a custom error while restricting access
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:29:23 GMT
Hello,

I have set up two virtual hosts in my Apache 2.0 httpd.conf file running
on Windows XP.  I am restricting which IP addresses can access the pages
like so:
<Directory      C:/somefolder/*>
                # Restricting by IP access
                AllowOverride None
                Options None
                Order deny,allow
                Deny from all
                Allow from domain.maindomain
                Allow from xxx.xxx
                Allow from localhost
        </Directory>
When people are not in the allowed subnet range, they get a Forbidden
(Error 403) message.  I would like to modify this message.

I read that I could accomplish this by creating a htaccess file in
htdocs and put an entry into that file that points to the custom error
page.  My htaccess file now looks like this:
Error 403 Forbidden 403error.html
However, I still get the default error page.  I am not able to access
the 403error.html directly either.  This is probably because, htdocs is
no longer home directory for serving pages.  I tried placing the
htaccess and 403.html file into c:\somefolder ,but that did not produce
the custom error message either.

How should I create the custom error message when using virtual hosts
and restricting access to the folder?

Thank you,

Tonu