httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Danie Qian" <dan...@bestningning.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Web Farm Ideas
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:52:43 GMT
we have use NFS for a few farms here with simiar setup. rsync is between the dev boxes and
NFS servers only.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Peter Milanese
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 2:28 PM
  Subject: [users@httpd] Web Farm Ideas

  Greetings-

      I am coming up with ideas for building a new farm. We currently run CF and Apache on
a bunch of decent sized boxes, headed by a set of F5's. We have an isolated Dev Environment.
The current framework for putting stuff into production is homegrown, and in need of an overhaul,
I just want to see if there is something out there to assist, or if our model is wrong at
this point. We do a bit over a billion hits per annum.  Now, I would like to brainstorm architectural
changes.

  Workflow as it is now:

  Developer works on dedicated dev server->

  Developer goes to web interface in order to select items to go into production (php/rsync)
->

  Submit process "stages" selected files (copies them into a local heirarchy) ->

  Cron syncs that local "staging area" to the production servers.

  How do larger organizations do this?
  How are uploads handled?
  Shared storage?

  I think I'm just looking for other ideas.

  Any input would be great.

  Thanks