httpd-users mailing list archives

From Clifford Heath <clifford.he...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Large POSTs through Apache reverse proxy to mongrel (Rails) failing
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2007 08:27:02 GMT
I have an Apache2.0.55 server under Ubuntu, serving multiple VHosts,
with a reverse proxy that redirects a top-level directory of one of
the sites to a Rails application running mongrel. The mongrel is
started using --prefix=top_level_dir, and most of this Rails app
works fine.

One of my forms expects upload of large files (half a MB or more), and
this works fine when passed to mongrel directly, but via mod_proxy, I
get "connection reset" and this in error.log:

Connection reset by peer: proxy: prefetch request body failed to
localhost from AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD

I checked the Apache source code, and there seems to be a 16384 byte
buffer which it uses to try to prefetch the POST body so it can send
Content-Length. After googling a bit, I tried setting some Apache2
special environment variables that promised to modify the behaviors:

SetEnv downgrade-1.0
SetEnv proxy-sendcl
SetEnv proxy-sendchunked

I tried these one at a time... still get the error.

What am I doing wrong?

Clifford Heath.