httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Installing New Apache Modules
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:39:32 GMT
On 9/13/07, Aaron Smith <Aaron.Smith@kzoo.edu> wrote:

>             Simple question.  Hopefully.  If I have an existing Apache
> installation, that was compiled from source, and the source tree is still
> intact on the system, is it possible to compile and install a couple of
> additional modules without re-installing all of apache?  I'd like to add a
> few modules such as mod_ldap, mod_auth_ldap, and mod_webdav to an existing
> Apache web server with as little disruption as possible.  Would it work to
> do a configure, then a make, then do a make install from within the modules
> sub-directory?  My gut feeling is that this would NOT work as mod_ldap
> requires ldap to be built into apr-util so I bet I'd have to re-install the
> apr-util stuff.

For simple modules, you can use example 4 here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/dso.html#usage
to install using apxs.

But you are correct in being skeptical about that technique in this
case, since all the modules you talk about are complicated and require
sub-modules or libraries. You are much better off recompiling the
whole server. But this should be relatively easy. Just follow the
upgrading instructions here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html#upgrading

Joshua.