httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] <directory> and deny directives
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 07:07:41 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mark A. Craig [mailto:mark.a.craig@gmail.com]
> >>
> >> <Directory "C:/www/blog">
> >>    Options None
> >>    AllowOverride None
> >>    #Order allow,deny
> >>    #Allow from all
> >>    order deny,allow
> >>    deny from .svservers.com

This is just a guess, but I wouldn't put in the leading dots in the
domain names, if I were you. It's not done like that in the docs and, if
I guess rightly (without bothering to check the code), apache just does
a DNS lookup on the "deny from" argument. If so, then it will not
resolve with a leading dot.

> >>    deny from .static.theplanet.com
> >>    deny from .goo.ne.jp
> >>    deny from .cable.casema.nl
> >>    deny from -xbox.dedi.inhoster.com

Also, partial matches won't work (so say the docs).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> >>    deny from .knology.net
> >>    deny from .pppoe.mtu-net.ru
> >>    deny from .barak-online.net
> >>    deny from .barak.net.il
> >>    deny from .keymachine.de
> >>    deny from .hostingprod.com
> >>    deny from .client.bresnan.net
> >>    deny from 210.240.
> >>    deny from .dsl.ip.tiscali.nl
> >>    deny from .qwerty.ru
> >>    deny from .t-ipconnect.de
> >> </Directory>
> >>
> >> There's only one problem: it's not working!  The log still shows
> >> visits from these hostnames.  What am I missing?  Do I need to add
> >> "/*" to the end of the <Directory> directive, or do subdirectories
> >> implicitly inherit the same directives?
> >>
> >> Mark
> >>

> > you should use
> >
> > Order allow,deny