httpd-users mailing list archives

From Israel Brewster <isr...@frontierflying.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Basic mod_rewrite help
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:42:19 GMT
I am running a personal webserver with apache 1.3.33 on Mac OS X
10.4. I have a main site set up at the root level of http://
izzy.homeip.net, and a second site set up at the subdirectory of /
~mongoose. I recently added virtual hosts to my configuration, so now
http://izzy.homeip.net/~mongoose can be accessed directly at http://
mongoosedelta.homeip.net. This all works as expected. Now I would
like to set things up such that if you typed http://izzy.homeip.net/
~mongoose the address is re-written to http://
mongoosedelta.homeip.net, for which I believe the correct tool to be
mod_rewrite.

in my httpd.conf file there is the following sections at the root level:

LoadModule rewrite_module     libexec/httpd/mod_rewrite.so
AddModule mod_rewrite.c

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
     RewriteEngine On
     RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^TRACE
     RewriteRule .* - [F]
</IfModule>

which came with the default install. In order to implement the
desired changes, I added the following lines:

RewriteLog "/var/log/httpd/rewrite.log"
RewriteLogLevel 2

RewriteRule ^/~mongoose(.*) http://mongoosedelta.homeip.net/$1 [NC,L,R]

Yes, I know the R flag is redundant, however, all I am seeing in the
rewrite log is entries like the following:

[28/Sep/2007:10:04:43 -0800] [izzy.homeip.net/sid#1840290]
[rid#1822238/initial] (1) [per-dir /WebServer/Documents/] pass
through /WebServer/Documents/favicon.ico

I have the root level of my webserver at /WebServer/Documents. Yes, I
know it isn't standard, but I like it there :)

My first thought was that it wasn't matching the rule, maybe because
of the ~ or something, so I tried several different variations on the
match pattern, including the way to generic .*mongoose.* but nothing
seems to have made a difference. At one point I was getting similar
entries on the home directory for the /~mongoose page, but with
subsiquent changes they stopped, and now I can't even get those back-
I'm not sure what I changed to get them in the first place or make
them stop. Can anyone tell me what I am missing here, and how I can
make this work? Thanks.
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.