httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Aaron Smith" <Aaron.Sm...@kzoo.edu>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Installing New Apache Modules
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:45:27 GMT

Yes, well, the operable word there is "SHOULD".  I've been attempting to
recompile apache on this server for a week now with no end of troubles.
Was looking for some other way of accomplishing my task but oh well.

-----Original Message-----
From: jslive@gmail.com [mailto:jslive@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Joshua
Slive
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:40 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Installing New Apache Modules

On 9/13/07, Aaron Smith <Aaron.Smith@kzoo.edu> wrote:

>             Simple question.  Hopefully.  If I have an existing Apache
> installation, that was compiled from source, and the source tree is
still
> intact on the system, is it possible to compile and install a couple
of
> additional modules without re-installing all of apache?  I'd like to
add a
> few modules such as mod_ldap, mod_auth_ldap, and mod_webdav to an
existing
> Apache web server with as little disruption as possible.  Would it
work to
> do a configure, then a make, then do a make install from within the
modules
> sub-directory?  My gut feeling is that this would NOT work as mod_ldap
> requires ldap to be built into apr-util so I bet I'd have to
re-install the
> apr-util stuff.

For simple modules, you can use example 4 here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/dso.html#usage
to install using apxs.

But you are correct in being skeptical about that technique in this
case, since all the modules you talk about are complicated and require
sub-modules or libraries. You are much better off recompiling the
whole server. But this should be relatively easy. Just follow the
upgrading instructions here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html#upgrading

Joshua.