httpd-users mailing list archives

From Pravin <shindepra...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Question on need to restart Apache after adding/modifying module
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:13:08 GMT
Hi,
Following is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong
anywere.

As per my understanding Apache uses plug-in architecture to increase
its functionality at runtime. For this, it uses modules
which are in form of  DSO's (Dynamic shared objects) (ie. .so .dll
etc...).
And it uses dlsym() and dlopen() like application programming
interface for dynamic linking loader to activate the DSO's as and when
they are needed.

If this is the way Apache implements its plug-in architecture then
why do we need to restart Apache when we add new module
or update existing module ?

As programming interface for dynamic linking loader allows you to open
new DSO, close existing DSO and reopen it again with newer version,
then is it not possible to update existing modules or load new
modules without restarting Apache ?

Can I know why exactly there is need to restart the Apache for new
module to get activated ?

Can I get pointers to some documentation or code which deals with how
exactly these new DSO's are loaded and how these newly added
modules come to life ? and why there is need for restarting Apache
when we add or modify any module ?

Regards,
Pravin Shinde