httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Conlen...@obmail.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Tomcat and Apache on the same port?
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:33:51 GMT
Tony,

The performance numbers you are talking about are going to be
irrelevant over any but the fastest local links, particularly using
TCP. RTT below 30ms are going to be rare within the US and even on a
very good tier 1 provider (Verizon/Qwest) directly you're not going
to get much better.

I think you've got yourself locked in to an idea of how to solve a
problem without either a measurable problem or the right idea of a
solution.

In your situation your solution might be to setup a caching proxy
server on port 80 with apache and tomcat on different ports and use
the proxy server to handle the requests. It should be able to handle
static content with much less resources than Apache can. At this
point you can tune apache down to the bare minimum. As latency is
very low it shouldn't need many processes to serve all requests.
Further if Apache isn't necessary for anything you could serve the
static content from Tomcat and cache it in memory on the proxy.

--
Michael Conlen